From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:41:47 -0400
Stirling S Newberry wrote:

>Why not, the "classics for dummies" CDs sell well enough.  We in Boston
>need a series of concerts where people who do not know much about the
>music, but are interested, would feel comfortable coming.
>
>Often the best device for this is a series of "children's" concerts.

Unfortunately, children's concerts tend to be infested with the little ones
in question, which automatically make many adults feel uncomfortable. Also,
adults might prefer an intellectual content pitched a little higher than
the elementary-school level.

What's really needed is an *educational* (grim word!) series (and not
only in Boston).  Something that takes newbies from the pop level they
are used to, such as 3-minute songs with electronic guitar and drum kit
accompaniment, to the point that they can sit through a regular 2-hour
concert with pleasure and understanding.  But to do this well would require
a rare combination of talents; analytic ability, to determine exactly
what knowledge needs to be imparted; pedagogic skill, to put it across
tellingly; and of course the musical talent required, plus the dramatic
talent to mesmerize the audience (or at least keep them awake).  Who is
there around these days to do this right? And equally important, where is
the funding source to support it?

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]