From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:39:50 -0700
Jan Templiner ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>...appearance of a piano in a violin concerto.  He pointed out that
>there was no candenza by Beethoven for the Violin Concerto, but one
>for his arrangement of it for piano. He and the soloist Roland Greutter
>transcribed this cadenza for piano and timpani to a trio-cadenza for
>piano, violin and timpani.  Eschenbach ended by saying that 'this has
>the huge advantage of all notes being from Beethoven'.

A similar approach was taken in the Kremer/Harnoncourt recording.

Personally I think adding the piano is somewhat daft, given that the
original cadenza was written for it.  A bit like arranging Beethoven's
piano sonatas for piano duet (which some loon apparently once did).

I prefer the Schneiderhan approach, to transcribe the piano part (maybe
I should say reduce) for violin, leaving the timps as Beethoven wrote
'em and hang the piano.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)