From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 22:53:25 -0400
Joel Lazar wrote:

>Interesting to me that when I was a kid (mid-century) one rarely heard
>op. 56 live (if so, played by orchestra principals) and there were only
>two recordings of it (late 30s, Weingartner/VPO, and late 40s [?],
>Walter/NYPhil).  I'd be fascinated to know what its early reception-history
>and critical-history might have been.

   "Concerto for Violin, 'Cello and Piano in C Major, Op. 56, Ricardo
   Odnoposoff, Stefan Auber and Angelica Morales with the Vienna
   Philharmonic Orchestra under Felix Weingartner.  Columbia Album M-327,
   Five 12" Records.

   "One of Beethoven's less happy experiments, this Concerto with the
   exception of its fine slow movement, adds up to a sort of stunt piece
   which is only moderately interesting as music.  The soloists are
   generally competent, but it is Weingartner's expert conducting and
   the playing of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra that lends the
   recorded performance such real distinction as it has.  The recording
   is acceptable on the whole."

    --David Hall, *The Record Book* International Edition A guide to
    the World of the Phonograph New York 1948

Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>