From:
Robert Berkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:54:49 -0800
Peter Wisse wrote:

>...as afar as I know, Emil Sjogren is Norwegian, he also wrote some fine
>piano music, contemporary of Sindind and Halfdan Kjerulf, all Norwegian,
>worth exploring if you are interested in less known piano music.

Sjogren (1853-1918) was a Sweedish composer whose works particularly
his songs have held a spot in the repertory of his native country but
not abroad.  His early studies were in Stockholm, though he spent 1879-80
studying in Berlin with Kiel.  He was an organist of some note.  His music
was widely admired by his professional contemporaries, including Wilhelm
Peterson-Berger, Stenhammar, and Tor Aulin.  His eight sonatas, five for
violin, one for cello, and two for piano, are his main instrumental works.
Two of his violin sonatas are available on the Bis and Swedish Society
labels.

Robert Berkoff