From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:06:19 -0700
Bob Draper wrote:

>I liked most of the Ken Russell films on composers.

His best films were made for BBC TV.  His Elgar portrait and "A Song
of Summer", based on Eric Fenby's biography of Delius are marvellous.

>One thing I am sure of, Russell loves everyone one of the composers in
>question.

You clearly never saw his final BBC film "Dance of The Seven Veils" about
Richard Strauss.  A calculated piece of character assassination that drew
an injunction against the BBC from Richard Strauss's family forbidding any
further showings with any of the music on the soundtrack over which they
have control.  An injunction that stands to this day and means that those
of us who saw its one and only showing in 1968 are quite a select band.

Tony Duggan,  England.
My (developing) Mahler recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/index.html