From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 01:48:13 +0100
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>If any professional musician is so miserable that he can't even bear to
>listen to music at home, then, I think he or she should change occupations.

Really, Kevin, sorry to keep on this thread, but I think you continue
to be unfair in this.  First, no-one said that a musician can't "bear"
to listen to music at home, that is more extreme than I ever said.  But
I will say that playing music, performing and studying and rehearsing it
every day, is a very different kettle of fish than listening at home.  I
often don't listen to music at home because I listen too critically, from
a professional point of view, and I simply don't *enjoy* listening to
recordings, especially of orchestra music.  It does *not* mean I don't
love music.  I speak from my own point of view, I know we're speaking
generally, but I know a lot of musicians who feel the same as I.  But I
would never ever think of changing professions.  A few years ago, working
as a freelancer in New York, in a period of little work and a lot of
frustrations, I had a day job, part time, at Spy Magazine, and they offered
me a full-time job.  I gave it serious thought, and realized that I simply
couldn't do it.  Better to starve.

Dave
www.serafinotrio.com