From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:27:53 +0100
Bonnie Granat wrote:

>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>Well, no, I can tell Mr. Peters that he can no more hear vanity in
>>the music than he can paint the air.
>
>If we hear what is in ourselves, then we can hear anything.  Perhaps
>music is a Rorschach test for our inner selves.  If we hear vanity,
>it is because we know it in ourselves.

Oh, I am a pretty vain person sometimes.  And maybe because of this
tendency in myself I dislike bombast composers like Strauss, Liszt and
Wagner.  But maybe Bernard is vain, too, and thus cant stand vanity being
criticized.  In the end music maybe says more about the listener than
about the compser...

Robert