From:
"Marcus Y. Kim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 18:07:37 -0400
Joseph Previte wrote:

>Leslie Howard for Hyperion, and Thomas Rajna (I have the LP with both sets
>of the TE's) have recorded the original versions.  Is there anyone else
>who has recorded the complete original version?

I am only aware of Leslie Howard and Janice Weber's recording of the
original etudes.  I find both recordings poor because neither Howard or
Weber have the ability to pull off a convincing performance.  Besides,
Howard is notorious for cheating by digital editing (even more than Glenn
Gould!).

>Still love Cziffra's and Ovchinikov's later versions, though!

I prefer Lazar Berman's and Claudio Arrau's versions of the revised etudes.
Berman has an incredible technique that makes the pieces sound so easy;
absolutely frustrating to aspiring pianists like me.  Arrau breathes soul
into the music, making them much more than technical studies.  And of
course, the most mind boggling performance I have ever heard in my life is
Richter's Sofia live performance of the Feux Follet.  It defies belief.

>Not sure the earlier version, aside from circus-like virtuosity
>requirements in finger-work, offers a deeper musical experience.  There
>was a reason Liszt revised it, aside from the fact that no-one else could
>perform the originals but him!

Paganini's inspiration on Liszt is evident in the original etudes because
Liszt wrote them as monuments to himself.  Berlioz pleaded to Liszt to
write an easier version because the only times anyone could hear the etudes
was when Liszt, himself performed them.  Regardless of their musical merit,
these pieces represented Liszt when he was at the top of his power;
therefore, I think it would be fascinating to hear these pieces performed
by a TRUE virtuoso, like Marc-Andre Hamelin (hence my request to Dr.
Walker).

Marcus Kim, B.Sc. Ph.D candidate
McMaster University
Department of Chemistry