From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:08:51 -0400
I realize I am weighing in at the tail end of this thread.  I've read it
with some interest, being a fan of Naxos myself.  (Personally, I like the
covers.  They establish a "brand" identity.  Like Walter Myers I think they
will be collectors items some day.)

The reason for my tardy entrance is to reinforce something that Stephen
Heersink just wrote:

>Mr. Heynman {sp?} has so taken the classical-recording industry by a
>touch of genius, capitalistic know-how, and a perseverance seen so rarely
>seen elsewhere, and has brought an "elitist' art form, to quote Donald
>Vroon, editor of American Record Guide, to the masses.

This caught my eye because I have just finished Joseph Horowitz's
history of the commercialization of music in the US called *Understanding
Toscanini*.  One of the points he makes repeatedly is that commercial
interests have continually sought to influence the people's understanding
of what constitutes quality in music.  Under the guise of popularizing and
making available "high culture," each successive technology or innovation
has actaully served to limit the range of musical experience accepted by
the general public He goes into great detail to document how this becomes
a circular self fulfilling prophecy with students taught to appreciate the
canonic "great" music --often via repackaged versions by the icons whose
earlier works reside in the vaults of the record companies.  In Horowitz'
opinion this has a stultifying effect in three principal ways: music
becomes a consumer item rather than an activity to be pursued (e.g.  music
appreciation vs music making); audiences become flabby in their listening
skills which in turn "justifies" promoters in not challenging them;
contemporary opportunities for creative expression whither due to lack
of support.

Thus, to return to Stephen's point, one of the best things about Naxos
is that in addition to their low prices they provide an inexpensive
introduction to many works lesser known works.  At five bucks I can afford
to experiment.  As I write this I am listening to one of three Naxos discs
I picked up at best buy yesterday for under fifteen dollars.  Two of them
I heard about on this list.  The Holst Egdon Heath is a perfect example:
in the bin where I found it were no less than five major label's versions
of the Planets, all at considerably higher prices.  The disc I have on the
player right now is from the American Classics Series.  I will write about
it next week because it has opened my eyes (my ears?) to something I had
not grasped before about idiomatic performance.

I think this list, by the way, would be celebrated by Horowitz for its
democratic hurly burly discussion which forces individuals to think and
make their own judgments.  There are many pronouncements made here, but
none of the are accepted as gospel from the high priests.  So, three cheers
for MCML and for Naxos for promoting genuinely creative expression and
giving the "masses" a choice instead of an echo.

Ed