From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:46:07 +0100
Margaret Mikulska wrote, in response to Richard Todd:

>As for manuscripts in private possession, it's unfortunately not unusual
>that owners don't want to make the ms.  accessible to scholars, let alone
>to be published - be it a letter or a musical ms.  ...  The gentleman may
>be mysterious to you, but perhaps not to Joyce - not everything one knows
>can be posted on a public forum.  Sometimes one has to be very circumspect,
>and then indeed there is no way to prove that what one says is an inside
>info and not something invented.

That's exactly the problem.  Though I don't know the owner of the
unpublished letters personally, I do know where to find him (oh well,
roughly, I don't have his telephone number) and I also know why he's
unwilling to publish them.  But, as I already wrote, I'm not entitled to
tell more.  I've given my promise not to do so.  We'll have to wait and I'm
almost sure that one day the obstacles will be removed.  It's just a matter
of time.  Well, an excercise in patience isn't bad!

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven