From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 10:56:45 -0700
Steve Schwartz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Rosbaud was one of the best least-known conductors of this century, like
>Scherchen, Horenstein, Mitropoulos, and Boult.  ...  He was also a
>fantastic Mozart conductor, with an elegant line and very clear texture.

Couldn't agree more.  Someone did publish a Rosbaud discography some years
ago; IIRC he made precisely 22 commercial recordings.

Steve is dead right about his interest in new music and his 1950
Turangalila is superb.

Also his Mozart:  c/w his Bruckner 3 there is a Mozart 2nd (2nd?) horn
concerto with the fabulous Dennis Brain and c/w his Mahler 6 there is a
Flute and Harp Concerto which makes me think, for the first time, that it
might actually be a fine piece of music.

A Rosbaud Revival is obviously due.

Deryk Barker