From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:44:21 PDT
Bob Draper wrote:

>I have been surprised at the way some list members are so obsessed
>with purchasing multiple copies of the same work in order to chase
>that dream of a performance of absolute perfection.

Being a "multiple" guy concerning recordings, but not women (darn), I can
honestly say that I never buy multiple versions in the pursuit of
perfection.  I already have me.

Other list members have expressed a few reasons for buying multiple
versions.  Here's some addtional ones:

1.  Simple addiction.
2.  Lost all previous versions owned.
3.  Have many audio systems - play all versions at same time.
4.  The Devil made me do it.
5.  Insist on comparing liner notes.
6.  Need to fill up the shelves and only Best Buys is in the area.
7.  God works in mysterious ways.

Okay, enough of that.  The real reason I collect multiple versions is
simple addiction combined with my sense of pride in my record collection.
I also engage in no.  3 now and then - that's a weird experience.  For what
it's worth, I'm also addicted to buying music I don't have at all.  It's
the total addiction.  Crown Me.

>I want to peek into as many dusty corners as possible and dig out the gems
>to be found there.  Better to spend my money doing this
>than purchasing umpteen copies of Beethoven's ninth (for instance).

Do both - push that envelope.  Otherwise, you'll never get selected to the
Serious Music Collector Hall of Fame.  By the way, Deryk's the current
Director so you better cut out that Beethoven 9th business.

>Also, dare I say that this attitude sems to be characterised by
>those who have a fetish over Austro-German composers.

It's better than a foot fetish which can get you into big trouble.  Bob
calls it a fetish, I might call it a preference, another might say it's
nuts, but whatever we call it, it's legal, acceptable to society, and okay
by me.  The individual stands tall.

Don Satz