From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 00:39:01 +0000
Edmund Cole writes:

>I read that Eschenbach was leaving at the Gramophone site last week.
>I wonder what was gong on with such a short tenure.  Boy!  the world
>of classical music has really been turned upside down in our life time.
>Tower closing down, conductors pushed to the side, orchestras without
>recording contracts, halls going empty.  I fear for the future.

I have fears about the impacts of global warming, but I am optimistic
about classical music.  From what I've read, the Tower situation is a
case of a company poorly reacting to new technologies.  As for orchestras
losing recording contracts, the trend is for them to start their own
labels such as the San Francisco Orchestra and the London Symphony
Orchestra.

So, do not fear the future.  There are hundreds of concerts each year
in the world's larger cities, and classical recordings come at us fast
and furious.  It's best to remember that classical music has always been
a "fringe" sector of the economy.

Don Satz