From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:49:13 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Tony Duggan writes:
>
>>In fact it would be hard to overestimate the contribution of British
>>composers to 20th century music.  It far outweighs that of some
>>countries I could mention.
>
>Tony's statement above is in respose to a list member who holds the premise
>that British music review periodicals and the Penguin Guide possess a little
>favoritism toward British composers, orcestras, and performers.  I don't
>doubt the favoritism at all and would just like to point out that U.S.
>sources show some favoritism for U.S. composers and performers, the French
>for French composers, etc.

On the other hand, listen to what happened this afternoon on "Face the
Music," the excellent blind listening show on WBJC in Baltimore.  First,
let me say that I caught only portions of this, so if anyone else heard
it, please chime in.  They were playing a disc of Billy the Kid.  The
first reviewer said, "If this was an American conductor and an American
orchestra, they should be shot.  No idiom, no swing, no jazz, nothing."
The second guy said, "I wrote this in big capital letters while I was
listening:  This is not an American orchestra."

Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the orchestra.  But I did get the
conductor: Some guy named Aaron Copland.

Mitch Friedfeld