From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:13:17 -0500
Couldn't sleep last night, got up and turned on the tub and quickly ran
into an odd looking operatic production, or I should say film.  It turned
out to be Aida, a fact that I would have recognized in a dozen beats
rather than a dozen measures except that it was in Swedish, a most
disorienting phenomenon.

I was fascinated by several things about it.  The most conspicuous of
them was that the women were topless most of the time, as they doubtless
would have been at the historical time corresponding to the story.  The
acting, though sometimes over the top, was generally good and invariably
interesting.  The director made some minor changes to the story, principally
at the end.  They worked, more or less.  Amneris was portrayed much more
sympathetically than usual.

Alas, the film has poor audio and the conductor takes the big numbers
so quickly that they lose all their grandeur.  Still, I liked it well
enough that I was hoping to find it on video, but I've had no luck at
all there.

Has anyone else seen this strange Aida?

Richard, who invites you to visit him at http://opuspocus.ca