From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:24:42 -0400
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>I just finished listening to Mahler's 9th, performed by Dohnanyi and the
>Cleveland on Decca-London.  This is the greatest performance of the work
>I've ever heard.  Performances I've heard include those by Abravanel,
>Walter, Haitink, Klemperer, Karajan (Festival recording), Bernstein
>(Columbia, NYPhil), Bernstein (DGG), and Horenstein (sometime in the
>1960s).

Dohnanyi brought the Clevelanders here to Washington last spring for Mahler
9.  Unfortunately, I missed it.  The Washington Post critic, Tim Page, was
equally laudatory.  He termed it as a non-interventionist, non-over-the-top
interpretation, one that let the music speak for itself.  Would you agree
with that?

Mitch Friedfeld