From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 18:59:31 -0500
David Runnion wrote:

>Say, I was thinking in a rehearsal yesterday, if it's ok to eliminate
>repeats in a Beethoven symphony, would it be ok to add a repeat in a Mozart
>trio? We're working on the K. 542, E major.  I find every  bar, every note,
>breathtakingly beautiful.  Listen to the three-bar canon segment in the
>strings in the middle of the slow movement.
>
>Sadly, the recapitulation of the first movement lacks a
>repeat sign.  I'd sort of like to repeat it.

Your wish is granted.  According to the NMA, there is a repeat sign given
at the head of and the end of the recap.

>Could this be a printers' error?

Most likely depending on what edition you are using.

Joel Lazar wrote:

>David, that late in Mozart's oeuvre I would think that a "second repeat"
>in a sonata-form first movement would be somewhat rare--it's not there
>in Symphony No. 39, K. 543, for instance or in the "Jupiter"...

You are correct.

Genereally speaking, Mozart used the recap repeat less often in his late
works, but there *is*, for example, a repeat of the recap indicated in the
last movement of the Jupiter.

Mark K. Ehlert