From:
Bob Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:34:39 EDT
I would like to learn a bit more about the British composer Rutland
Boughton.  The other day, I picked up a disc on sale of his third symphony
and first oboe concerto on Hyperion (CDA66343).  The symphony is okay.  I
found the concerto much more interesting and enjoyable.  Evidently, he is
known best for his opera, "The Immortal Hour," which I may investigate.

The liner notes accompanying the CD raise more questions than answers.
(Yes, I did check the Rutland Boughton Trust section on Hyperion's website
-- not much help.)

Specifically, I would like to know what Boughton's Glastonbury Festivals
were and why they ended.  I read somewhere that the festival was Boughton's
attempt to create a British Bayreuth.  Also, there is an oblique reference
to Boughton's activities after Glastonbury -- "politics and lecturing."
What kind of politics? Lecturing about what?

Finally, in addition to "The Immortal Hour," which appears to be available
only on Hyperion as a mid-price two-fer, can anyone recommend other
works/recordings? Boughton seems to have written quite a bit for oboe,
since his daughter was reportedly quite the oboeist.

Thanks and regards,
Bob Chen
Los Angeles, CA