From:
Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:43:07 -0700
In fact, I did quote $ (pounds) in my initial text, not $ (dollars),
though some mechanism seems to have taken it upon itself to make a
typographical conversion (and let's see how that last sentence emerges...).
The trouble is that the dollar is so weak against the pound that what
might seem a reasonable figure in sterling loses its advantage when
converted into dollars -- and my costs are in pounds and euros, so I
don't have any exchange-rate gains to pass on to my customers.

[A quick note on this issue.  Many, many times over the years I
 have emphasized that this is a plain text mailing list.  That means
 that if you don't find a character on a standard QWERTY keyboard,
 it won't appear on this list.  Special characters that do appear
 in incoming posts are automatically changed to their ASCII equivalent,
 an o with a umlaut will be changed to just an o, but in this case
 the pound sign got changed to a dollar sign.  I apologise for any
 confusion, but there is no other reasonable way to handle this.
 Posters need to be careful not to include special characters as
 the results may be somewhat unexpected, as we have seen.  -Dave]

Moreover, the PayPal machinery is pretty inflexible, so it's difficult
to weight dollar prices to allow for exchange-rate imbalances.  All I
can suggest is that if you are interested in acquiring anything from the
Toccata Classics catalogue, drop me a line personally, and we'll see
what we can do to thwart the system.

Cheers
Martin