From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:09:06 -0400
I can't believe what I am reading.  Anyone who cannot respond to the
"Kinderscenen" has got to be dead from the neck down.  Every piece in the
cycle grabs the heart.  The melodies are breathtaking.  And I grew up on
the Horowitz recording, which is not particularly romantic.  Also the
Waldscenen, which I just picked up for $5 on Sony "Essential Classics" with
Casadesus, with includes the Symphonic Etudes.  "Fantasie," op.  17 and the
wonderful "Arabesque" complete this CD gem in good performances by Hiroko
Nalamura.

Than what about the Dicterliebe? The Naxos is very good.  Another gem what
surely doesn't require reading a book.  It also speaks right to the heart.

And as Mimi rightly says, the Piano Quintet is one of the greatest pieces
in the genre and one of the greatest pieces Schumann wrote.  Again, if one
the ability to feel, it a sure bet the quintet will seduce you.

Andrew Carlan
"Standing up for Nielsen"