From:
Robert Floyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:20:16 -0400
"John Smyth" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm open to suggestions regarding any other favorite Bach performances
>of the Lp era.  I was disappointed the many of the '60's Willcock's Argo
>performances of Bach and Vivaldi: the choir is too wooley-sounding.  What
>are the best of the Munchinger (sp) London/Decca performances?  With
>Ameling they can't be too bad!

My favorite Bach LP is the set of Brandenburgs by Ristenpart and the
Chamber Orchestra of the Saar, on Nonesuch.  I was in college when I
bought the recording ($4.98 for the two disc set) and fell in love with
it on first listen.  The performances, while not strictly HIP, capture
the sheer joy of music making that is Bach at his best.  The soloists
are wonderful (including, if my memory is right, Jean-Pierre Rampal,
Hans-Martin Linde and Robert Veryon-LaCroix, among others).

I also have a Munchinger performance of the Musical Offering on London
Stereo Treasury ($2.49; those were the days).  It's a very good performance
that solidified my love for Bach.

Robert Floyd
Durham, NC