From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:55:42 PDT
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>This gave me the idea for a thread, ie for a composition that we would
>like to have been written but which, for whatever reason, weren't.  I'm
>thinking particularly of works in a form a composer never used,....

This is hardly a novel idea, but I'd love for a Bach opera to have been
written.  I don't think that the arias would be significantly different
from those in his choral works, but I'd be very excited concerning what
Bach would make of the recitatives.  In most operas, the recitatives are
not musically rewarding.  I think that Bach would have written recitatives
of great musical significance which would have been a model for future
composers.

Don Satz