From:
Karren Alenier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:22:50 -0700
I joined the Classical Community Listserv recently and am introducing
myself to the group with this first message.

I am Karren LaLonde Alenier, a poet who has collaborated successfully
on Gertrude Stein Invents a Jump Early On, a classical and jazz opera
with composer William Banfield and director Nancy Rhodes of Encompass
New Opera Theatre.  The work premiered June 2005 in New York City with
review by The New York Times.

I am the author of The Steiny Road to Operadom: The Making of American
Operas, which chronicles how my Stein opera was developed and more broadly
opera in America.  Interviews in the book include such artists as Ned
Rorem, Mark Adamo, Libby Larsen, Placido Domingo.  There is a short list
of new American operas in its appendix.  Most of the work was published
first in Scene4 Magazine.  More information on this at alenier.blogspot.com.

Occasionally I write about classical music concerts on Scene4 Magazine.
You can see my latest review of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra conducted
by Tan Dun and including his multimedia concerto The Map on my Scene4
blog called The Dressing.  http://www.scene4.com/karrenlalondealenier/

I am interested in learning more about classical music especially the
contemporary works and helping expand the audience for classical music,
opera and poetry.

Karren L. Alenier