From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:12:08 -0500
It's Oskar Fried's performance of Berlioz' symphony with the USSR Symphony
Orchestra, recorded in 1937, but don't let its age deter you.

Fried, a conductor of prominent German orchestras, including the Berlin
Philharmonic, of whom I have recordings of Beethoven's Ninth and Mahler's
Second, among other orchestral works, was, as a non-Aryan, forced to leave
German and eventually settled in the USSR, where he died in 1941 under
circumstances the liner notes describe as "mysterious".

I'd heard his performance of Berlioz' *Symphonie Fantastique* taped by
a friend from a radio broadcast, and it has been my favorite Berlioz
performance ever since.  It sounds as if it had been newly discovered by
the players, enthusiastic and vigorous.  I was therefore pleased to obtain
this from Berkshire (www.broinc.com) on the LYS (LYS280) label for US$5.99.

Walter Meyer