From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:09:13 -0700
The Love Song of J. Donald Satz:

>"....she's, (Mutter), reclining on the floor with a suggestiveness...."

Is this a marketing ploy? I found myself similarly transfixed by Birgit
Nilsson reclining suggestively on the cover of a Philips CD entitled, "La
Nilsson." And let's not forget Mischa Maisky captured in a white blouse,
(tied in a knot at the bottom), on his DG album called "Cellissimo."
Someone somewhere must find these covers alluring.

It seems to me, after browsing the Polygram catalog, that most of the
artists on their roster have been presented at one time or another in
what one would technically call an "alluring" pose--it's just that this
time, the artist, Anne-Sophie Mutter, is attractive not only by European
standards, (she is an outstanding violinist and human being), but also by
perceived American standards, (as the woman is easy to look at).  I have a
hunch that the DG cover might catch the eye of casual buyers in America,
but I'm not sure that European consumers would be affected either way.

I do have to break some news to you Don.  One of the women on your CD
covers, the mature, portly one with the tightly-wound curls who is usually
seen with a black sweater draped over her shoulders....well, her name isn't
actually Jo Anne Sebastian Bach.....

John Smyth, back from vacation