From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:17:52 -0700
Paula Silverthorne responds to Steve Schwartz:

>>* JANACEK: Violin Sonata (1914-22)
>>* SZYMANOWSKI: Myths (1915)
>>* ENESCU: Violin Sonata #3 in A, op. 25 "In the popular Romanian style"
>> (1926)
>>* BARTOK: First Rhapsody for Violin and Piano (1928)
>
> Lovely music, but modern? All of it nearly a hundred years old.

As a retired physics professor (Boston University) I often taught a
course called "Modern Physics" to physics and engineering students.  And
just as in the case of music, the main subjects of interest are quantum
physics and relativity - both nearly a hundred years old.  I exaggerate
a bit, because the course touches on the enormous developments in physics
over the last century, Nonetheless these developments depend on quantum
physics and relativity.  Just as in music the revolution in physics which
occurred a century ago has had a profound influence on the future of the
science.  A coincidence ?

Bernard Chasan