From:
Mike Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:34:44 -0600
David Harbin wrote:

>Chandos once released a completion by William Carrogan played by the Oslo
>Philharmonic/Yoav Talmi.  This could be the one you have in mind, although
>I don't know Carrogan's nationality nor whether the Chandos is currently
>available.  Such of Wildner's conducting as I've heard doesn't make me
>confident of a heaven-storming 9th from him, but he may well surprise us.

Writing this from memory, so some details may be approximate, but:

Berkshire Record Outlet (http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com) in the U.S.
has the Talmi recording of the Carragan finale completion (along with the
first three movements) on Chandos.  That album is interesting in that it
includes the only recordings, AFAIK, of the individual sketches for the
finale, prior to Carragan's "completion."  Great price, though the overall
performance of 9 is fairly unremarkable.

Several years later, Carragan later teamed with Samale, Mazucca, and
Phillips to re-do the finale, which is/was available in a very fine
recording by the Bruckner Linz Orchestra under Eichhorn.  The Japanese
Camerata issue of the 9th (alone) has superb liner notes that include the
original journal article by the authors discussing the various sketch pages.
I've been told that the complete Bruckner symphony set on Camerata does not
have the same extensive notes, so I'd recommend the individual recording of
9, if you can find it.  I purchased mine from Tower a couple of years back,
but don't see it there now.

Cheers,

Mike Smith
Boulder, Colorado