From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:12:30 -0400
Jayne Willingham wrote:

>--Finally I'm not the one suffering from the assault of a neighbor's music!
>But you have my deepest sympathies.  I've been in the same situation but it
>wasn't for just a weekend, it was for months, and it was the parents!  For
>endless hours into the night they played what I called "carnival music"
>from Mexico.  Perhaps there's a name for it but please don't tell me what
>it is:)

Back in the 40s we lived in an apartment on NYC's West Side.  There was no
air conditioning and in the summer everybody's window was kept open.  And
so across the courtyard we would hear the sound of piano practice every
day, always Chopin's "Butterfly Etude", played at an agonizingly slow
tempo, and never free from mistakes and repetitions of the botched
passages.

Walter Meyer