From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:28:56 -0400
Ravi Narasimhan wrote:

>Some restaurants have turned down their music upon request, others refuse.
>I cancelled a gym membership because the policy was to have the radio
>on at all times, usually to a hard rock station where the thumping beats
>came through the equipment even if I had earplugs in.

My wife has this problem especially in a swimming pool at one of our
YMCAs.  Supposedly, it's on to keep the lifeguards awake.  Take it from
there.

>I could request a half-hour block of a station of choice but that was
>not a great answer.  When I suggested that they turn off the stereo
>and let people bring what music they liked on their personal equipment,
>I was told that it was not possible or even "fair".

Whatever that means.

>I agree with Donald Clarke.  The assault on the senses in the name of
>advertising won't go back anytime soon.

Alas, I agree, as well.  In my earlier post, I was just saying I've
had some occasional success in getting restaurants to turn down music.
I'm big and mean looking.  Maybe that explains something.

Roger Hecht