From:
Beth Schuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:29:54 -0600
Ray Bayles wrote:

>Classical music stations are rapidly disappearing from the United States
>and most other countries.

I suppose that is very true.  Luckily we still have a couple of good
classical radio stations in Chicago.  WFMT and WNIB.  In fact, the manager
of WFMT has written about this very issue that we have been discussing.
He said that "classical radio broadcasting in the U.S. has fallen on
hard times as many stations have become classical music jukeboxes,
with programming 'scientifically' designed to appeal to people who only
want background music."  I think he hit the nail on the head with that
statement.  Apparently he wants to use a "thematic" approach and feature
in-depth looks at composers of the month, as well as artists of the month.

Classical music is definitely not background music, and I think this is a
good approach.

Beth