From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:36:25 -0500
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Miguel Muelle wrote:
>
>>I have just seen a 14 CD set of Claudio Arrau playing the complete
>>Beethoven Sonatas and Concertos.  It is a Phillips set, the recordings
>>seem to come from the 60s and it is going for US$30.
>
>There seems to be some confusion here.  This set, which was re-issued
>last November, contains 14 CDs, so there is no chance that it is available
>via normal retail at $30.  The best prices I could find are in the $70-80
>range.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I did buy this set for about $35 recently,
though only because my wife happens to work at Universal (Studios) and
they had a promotional price on this set for employees (remember Universal
currently owns all three biggies:  DG, Philips and Decca).

However, IMO it is worth the $80-100 price tag, and even the Tower records
special low price of $140 (which is probably more like $110 right now on
sale).  Yes, it does include the Diabelli variations (a great peformance),
and the famous Arrau performance of the 4th concerto with Haitink (another
great one).  There are few clunkers int this box, notably the triple
concerto; but even that performance is not terrible.  Eroica and the WoO C
minor variations are also included; overall a great bargain for anywhere
under $100.

Ulvi