From:
Eric James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:07:09 -0400
Richard Pennycuick writes

>I wondered whether the choral work Kim Patrick Clow remembered hearing is
>Mozart's incidental music to Thamos, King of Egypt K345 (no, that's not a
>typo, it's Thamos, not Thomas).  The recording I have on LP is a 1973 one
>on Philips conducted by Bernhard Klee and since re-released on a 2-CD set
>with other theatre music as part of the Mozart Edition.  It uses as an
>overture the Symphony No 26 K184.  Not all the movements have a choir.
>There are later recordings by Harnoncourt on Teldec, and by Eliot Gardiner
>on Archiv.  I'm not aware of one by Hogwood.

That seems like a good guess.  I would hope the work in question isn't the
Galimathius Musicum whose last movement includes words to be sung by the
members of the orchestra.  The idea that this is Mozart's "Choral Symphony"
is laughable, however.  I would say it might be the composer's one and only
claim to having written dreck.  Didn't Papa Leopold have a hand in it,
though?

Eric James