From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:05:03 -0600
Dick Claeys wrote:

>Can't say that I agree with all Mr. Horowitz's points; in particular,
>he's silent about the Monteux performances and puts the shaky Mitropoulos
>"Spirituals" at the top of his highlight list.  But his appraisal of
>Ozawa's contribution, the jaw-dropping Stokowski arrangements, the thrill
>of Munch in live performance, and the promise of better years ahead under
>Levine (not shared by all the voices on this list at the moment) deserve
>thoughtful reading.

I read it and find it difficult to believe he had the same BSO set I have!
Last Saturday morning I broadcast three hours of the set and included the
Ozawa Berlioz Roman Carnaval...Horowitz praised it...yet I found it a
crashing bore, and from what I could tell on the old applause meter...the
audience wasn't all that wild about it either.

I did agree with him on one point...as I recall he suggested the BSO needs
another Koussevitzky.

Karl