From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:42:30 -0400
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Let me add my voice to the chorus of approval for the Supraphon Janacek.
>I have recently bought two wonderful operas: The Cunning Little Vixen
>and The Excursions of Mr. Broucek.  Vixen is moderately well-known (for
>Janacek).  Excursions is almost unknown.  It's a wonderful comic fantasy
>about a Czech petit bourgeois, as wise as it is funny.

There are two Supraphons of Broucek.  I far prefer Jilek's Broucek to
Neumann's, mainly for Jilek's more fluid conducting.  Neumann has always
seemed kind of lumpy to me.  I haven't listened to Vixen in a while,
particularly the three Supraphons, so I don't want to comment much.
Suffice it to say there are three, two with Neumann (one in mono) and one
with Gregor.  I don't know the mono, but it has a great reputation.  Gregor
is pretty good, and I don't think I've ever played the later Neumann!  (Add
it to a large list of unplayed records.) I like the Mackerras quite a bit
as well as the English language Rattle.  A very fortunatte opera, Vixen.

Roger Hecht