From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:18:03 -0700
Karl Miller wrote:

>And, if one puts even your little toe into the J.S. Bach field, I think
>of all of those works that use the BACH motive in them...and then there
>are those that quote the Dies Irae...a friend of mine wrote a tango on
>the Die Irae.

And then there's Ronald Stevenson's 75+-minute Passacaglia on DSCH, whose
final fugue has three subjects: DSCH, BACH and the Dies Irae.

Have I missed it, or has nobody mentioned Lucian Berio's magnificent
Sinfonia?  The third movement is based on the third mvt of Mahler 2,
with quotations from more composers than I can recall - certainly
Beethoven's Pastoral, Strauss's Rosenkavelier, Debussy's La Mer,
Stockhausen's Gruppen and many more.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>