From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 09:37:53 PDT
I've been out on the road for a few days and came back to a large number of
list messages.  I read with interest the postings on this thread in regard
to the premise that present day directors have to "deal" with the biases
inherent in the Magic Flute.

I don't agree with that premise in terms of it being a requirement and see
no reason why the Magic Flute wouldn't simply be presented with its basic
libretto, warts and all.  The art and entertainment of any time period
provides future generations with an excellent and insightful picture of
society at that time.  We don't have to agree with any particular
components, just recognize what the components were back then.

Sure, men held all the power, were considered intellectually, logically,
and physically superior to women.  Why change that for present day
audiences? Can't they handle it in a historical context? The study of
history tells us a great deal about ourselves, our past, and provides some
inisights concerning the future.  I view the "deal with" premise, intended
or otherwise, as an avenue which puts a hazy film on history, and that
can't be good.

Don Satz