From:
Miaomiao Yu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 15:40:25 +0100
Tim Horwood wrote

>I watched the opening of the Prom's where Lang did the Tschaikovsky Piano
>Concerto No 1 a favourite of mine when I was a youth.....You may well
>ask, actually you did!  It seems the sooner Lang Lang is shipped back
>to China the better.  May be he could become a cabaret act juggling a
>vase with his feet while banging out Tschaikovsky on the piano at a 1000
>notes a minute.

I attended the Proms opening concert, wanting to find out if Lang Lang
was worth all the hype.  Normally, I am quite critical of Tchaik 1, since
it's notorious for attracting bangers.  The first impression I got when
he walked on stage was, "oh no, look at that hideously loud Chinese top
he's wearing." But his playing won me over completely.  I thought his
playing was full of life, and he was totally engrossed in his playing.
Yes, he moved about a little too much, but the movements didn't seem
artificial, or just for show,like some pianists I could think of.

In a hall as big as the Royal Albert, it is very difficult to project
and be heard.  I have attended numerous Proms concerts,(sitting in the
same box halfway down the hall) where the pianist simply is just a murmur
(e.g.  Helene Grimaud--Bartok 3).  For Lang Lang's concert however, not
only was every note clearly heard, but beautifully toned.  Just the right
balance with the orchestra.

Perhaps the balance was of a little too much piano if the mics are placed
just above the orchestra, thus creating the impression to BBC listeners
that he is banging the hell out of the piano.

I enjoyed his performance immensely, and no, it had nothing to do with
the fact that he is Chinese, and I am Chinese.  In fact, I'm even more
critical than others about Chinese performers.

I respect the right of everyone to have their opions about the performer,
either bad or good.  Seeing both sides of the coin is enlightening for
this fervent lover and student of CLASSICAL music.  However, I am slightly
alarmed at Mr. Horwood's comment that "the sooner Lang Lang is shipped
back to China, the better", and his derogatory remarks about the Chinese
and Chinese art form of vase/plate juggling, or what have you.  Classical
music as a Western art form that has now become the international art
form.  I am saddened that a supposedly civilized discussion group still
has people who feel a sense of entitlement to the British stage, or feel
the need to belittle others based on their country of origin.  If Lang
Lang is to be judged, please, judge him for his abilities as a performer.

Miaomiao Yu