From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:03:13 -0500
It appears that the RC thread has mostly played itself out.  Lots of
interesting stuff along the way.  Funny how it all started with someone
innocently asking for advice on starting a CM collection.  Despite all the
crosstalk, I must say that the most convincing argument to me was voiced at
the very beginning - something to the effect of, "start with whatever kind
of music got you interested in CM in the first place, then expand from
there." (I think it was Don Satz.)

Which brings me to a slightly different thread.  What sort of
recommendations does the list have for someone who's NOT interested in
CM at all, *yet*:  very young child (1 year old)? (I'm assuming we can
avoid the "Mozart Effect" foolishness.) I suppose a few obvious answers
immediately spring to mind:  1) Don't worry about it; have her listen to
whatever I listen to.  2) Try to expose her to the broadest possible
variety of music (medieval through Boulez, jazz, rock, rap, etc.).  3)
Play her the RC (whatever that is).  Anyone have interesting comments on
what sort of stuff is good for kids?

Richard Tsuyuki
Virginia, USA