From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 00:40:22 -0800
Lampson replies to me:

>Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Didn't Leopold Mozart compose a "musical Sleigh ride"?
>
>Nope. But Wolfgang did. It is the (orchestral) German Dance No.1 KV620.
>
>Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
>
>[Nope?  Do you know, or are you guessing?  In fact, Leopold did write
>a sinfonia in 1755 with the subtitle "Musical Sleigh Ride".  K. 620
>is the opera "The Magic Flute", so perhaps you are referring to the 3
>dances K. 605 which have the title "Die Schlittenfahrt" (Sleigh Ride).
>-Dave]

Hm.  I didn't know about the Leopold subtitle, but I knew about Wolfgangs
"Die Schlittenfahrt" (though I wrote wrong Koechler by mistake).  I "knew"
it was just Wolfgang as it seemed unlikely that both of them would choose
the same title.  I thought the honourable Mr.  Wisse was confusing the
datas.  Seemingly I fell in that hole myself.

Are all three dances named sleigh ride? I thought it was just the first
one.

Mats Norrman
mats.norrman.home.se

[As far as I can determine from the literature I have at hand, it
 seems only the trio section of the third (of three) of these German
 Dances is called "The Sleighride", though all three dances are scored
 for winds, timpani, 2 posthorns and sleighbells.  It's the posthorns
 and sleighbells that are meant to be evocative of a sleighride, as
 opposed to something more programmatic.  -Dave]