From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:21:02 -0700
The inquiry is rather vague, so I do not know what kinds of answers are
desired.

When possible, I buy directly from the distributors.  For distributors
who will not cooperate in this way, and that can change from month
to month, I make a variety of arrangements, depending on what works.
Sometimes it is buying from the label, sometimes from a local store,
sometimes from an Internet retailer.  I order off the new release listings
at all distributors who take such orders each month, and then any other
recordings I buy at the first place I see them in stock.

Sometimes that place is the local Tower, which has the highest prices and
unreliable stock.  I have a policy that if I find a recording I want on the
shelves, I buy it.  I've been burned by waiting too many times.  Too many
are available only as long as the initial stock lasts, especially if the
recording is actually interesting (i.e.  unlike the standard dreck the
public buys).  Approximately one third to half of the recordings of
interest to me will not be released in the US, especially if they are
on a so-called major.

When it comes to web sites, it seems to me they only get worse.  Not only
do they become harder and harder to actually use each month, but they are
such eyesores I cannot look at them directly for very long.  In short, I
find most web sites offensive for both their presumptions on me and the
in-your-face style of their presentations.  The most usable web site, in my
opinion, is Amazon's, but I rarely buy from them since they do not provide
information on whether a particular CD is actually in stock.

The Internet retailer I use most often is CDworld.  They have stock
information on all recordings, and the lowest prices.  They can be a little
unreliable in some ways, although not to the point of being unprofessional.
Their web site, like most, gets steadily uglier over time.  However, they
do still have an ability to search by catalog number, and that is the one
essential function.

When possible, whether with the distributors, or more often the individual
labels, I simply email my order.  That is always preferable on my end,
although I try not to be too much of an ass with the retailers themselves.
I express my preference, and if they want me to navigate a web site, I will
try to do it if I have no other option.  Sometimes it is simply impossible,
such as if they have no facility to search by catalog number (the titles
could be given as nearly anything), or if they use such an aggressive
presentation style or "active content" that I cannot bear it.

For the UK, I order from Lindum records.  They are small, and one can
simply email the order.  For France, I order from CDmail which has a fairly
annoying web site, but has been very impressive regarding delivery.  I have
had limited occasion to order from other countries, aside from labels
themselves.

Disclaimer: I have formal business relationships with Amazon, CDworld,
CDnow, and Acses (German price comparison service).  I have found no
personal use for the latter two (my apologies to them).  I would undertake
similar relationships with the US distributors, Lindum and/or CDmail, if
they had such things.  I do know the owner of Lindum fairly well.

Todd McComb