From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 06:42:43 -0700
Roy Ellefsen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jollly Bragos-Santos (I did that from memory, and the spelling may
>be off bit) and Villem Kapp. What do you know about them?

My first introduction to the music of Braga Santos was his fifth
Symphony...I can even remember the circumstances where I first heard the
recording, a Portugese Decca LP.  I found the opening to be quite powerful
and dramatic.  Over the years I have tried to acquire any recording of
his music I could find.

I find some wonderful moments in his music.  The opening of the 4th
Symphony is beautifully lyrical and engaging.  On the other hand, I find
many of his works to ramble.  They don't have the structural integrity
I prefer. His Concerto for Strings remains a favorite for me.

Steve has pointed to the later works as exhibiting more modernist leanings,
and indeed, this was my experience as well.

A good starting point would be the Marco Polo issue of the 4th Symphony
conducted by Cassuto.  He is a good conductor who has championed music
of his own country.

I have several works of Kapp in my collection but I don't recall that
any of them made much of an impression on me.  No doubt I need to refresh
my memory.

Karl