From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:14:02 -0700
John Dalmas wrote:

>>I am curious that so many Americans prefer non-Slav, Hungarian (Kertesz,
>>Szell, Solti, Dohnanyi, Dorati) conductors of the music of the Slavic Czech
>>composer Dvorak.

Now, Steve Schwartz:

>Well, it's my understanding that Szell isn't Hungarian, but Czech (although
>the name is certainly Hungarian), and that Dohnanyi is a German, despite
>the surname.

Uh, hmm.  I'm pretty sure Christoph v. Dohnanyi is the grandson of
the Hungarian composer Erno [Ernst] von Dohna'nyi, who -was- Hungarian.
I think.  Maybe there's some more complicated geneology going on that
confuses the issue.  I dunno about Szell although his name -is- definitely
Hungarian.

I've been wrong before though.

Bob K, being 1/4 Hungarian, 1/4 Slovak...