From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:09:39 -0500
I just finished listening to Mahler's 9th, performed by Dohnanyi and the
Cleveland on Decca-London.  This is the greatest performance of the work
I've ever heard.  Performances I've heard include those by Abravanel,
Walter, Haitink, Klemperer, Karajan (Festival recording), Bernstein
(Columbia, NYPhil), Bernstein (DGG), and Horenstein (sometime in the
1960s).

The Horenstein and the Walter were my top choices before, but to me
Dohnanyi surpasses them both.  I intend to give a fuller account of my
opinion, though with my backlog, that won't take place for a couple of
years.  However, Decca/London's Cleveland Orchestra recordings tend to
disappear from distribution.  I mention it now to give folks a chance at
this amazing, amazing recording.  The sound is great, the playing as good
as humans can play, and the interpretation noble and moving.  I rarely blub
at music performances, but I dabbed my eyes a few times here.  The first
movement sets the bar.  The final Adagio, soars above it.

Coupled with the Hartmann Symphony No. 2, played by the same forces.
Total time: approx. 99 minutes (2 CDs).  Decca 289 458 902-2.

Steve Schwartz