From:
Jason Greshes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:50:30 -0400
J. Lewis wrote:

>... Now, what's the deal with this VERY inexpensive recent label, Opera
>D'Oro? They offer a complete Ring with Furtwangler/La Scala for, at CDNow,
>$50. Stuff like Pelleas, Boris, Otello, etc. is generally about $10. Many
>are conducted by Karajan. Now, I'm sure there are nop librettos included,
>but what on earth is the sound quality like on these? I suppose they're
>radio broadcasts transferred with little to no remastering?

Opera d'Oro has found a good way to offer quality remasterings at low
prices--steal someone else's remastering.

They are able to offer a very high quality Ring b/c Music & Arts licensed
the broadcast tapes, paid Furtwangler's estate, paid someone to do a high
quality and expensive remaster, and then Opera d'Oro duped the CDs.

Jason