From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:33:37 -0500
Christopher Rosevear wrote:

>Would you be kind enough to explain "HIP" please?

Sorry not to have done so in the posting....Historically Informed
Performance...meaning the use of period instruments (which I tried to
describe), and just as importantly, playing using period appropriate styles
and techniques.  At least as much as we can surmise about them today.

The opposite case, of course, occurs when playing these works with a huge
symphony orchestra on modern instruments, but (more importantly), playing
the notes only as written, without a care as to techniques or the stylistic
differences between Lully and say Brahms.  This method I have called
Historically Overblown Performance, which means that the perennial
"discussions" over which way to play this music I term the HIP-HOP wars.

Bill H.