From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:55:22 -0400
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>Edmund Rubbra
>
>* Symphony No. 4, op. 53
>* Symphony No. 10 "Sinfonia da camera," op. 145
>* Symphony No. 11, op. 153
>
>BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Richard Hickox
>Total time: 58:22
>Chandos CHAN 9401
>
>Hickox and the BBC National Orchestra of Wales in my opinion give
>definitive performances of these emotionally and structurally complex
>works.  In fact, the entire cycle is superbly well played, beating out the
>old Lyrita recordings with Handley and Del Mar.

I apologize for sticking my nose in so late on this.  I file all of Steve's
reviews and read them later--much later in this case.

I agree that the Hickox complete Rubbra (or about to be complete) is
something to have.  But I personally do not disdain the Lyritas.  I like
them a lot and if you have them, you could consider getting only the Hickox
recordings you need for a complete symphony set (which is probably most of
them).  I find Lyrita's Second with Handley a lot better than Hickox--more
exciting and dynamic--and Del Mar's Fourth maybe a little better.  For me
the best Fourth is Handley's on Intaglio--a little more mysterious and
cohesive.  The Sixths of Hickox and Del Mar are a wash.  I haven't compared
the 8ths.  I just got Boult's Sixth on Intaglio and am very curious about
that.

In any case, this Hickox issue is a must for the 10th and 11th.  The 4th is
good--I don't mean to imply it isn't--the Schonzeler 10th is not as good as
this one (though I could still picture one that is more delicate and
chamberlike), and there is no other 11th.

Roger Hecht