From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:05:32 -0000
Pierre Paquin wrote:

>Walter Meyer responded:
>
>>If in Germany between the two world wars, it would have had to have been
>>before early 1933 and if in Austria, before the Anschluss in 1938.
>
>That's totally ridiculous.

Why is it "totally ridiculous"? Has it escaped your notice that Mahler was
Jewish and that the Nazis banned his music in Germany after they came to
power and after they started occupying countries?

>Furtwangler did not care that much for Mahler's music.

Debatable, I suppose, though the list I posted of his performances proves
that he cared more than many people think.  The fact that a conductor does
not care for a particular composer does not condemn that composer.

>(Toscanini hated it.)

Which proves what? Personally, I'm rather glad that Toscanini hardly ever
touched Mahler.  If he did to Mahler what he did to Beethoven then we would
have been the poorer.

>Seem to be common sentiments.

Do you really want me to list all the conductors who did champion Mahler's
music?

>I don't care for it either except for the 3rd symphony, and only with the
>Czech Philharmonic/Neumann recording.  I would much prefer to listen to a
>Furtwangler Symphony...At least it would not be dripping over the edge with
>"See how much I'm suffering?" Mahlerian sentimentalities.

A stupid remark which only exposes your ignorance of Mahler's music.

>Thank God I can count myself NOT a member of the sorrow sector among music
>lovers which seems to drift aimlessly and headlong towards Mahler's music
>for some reason(s).

Not liking a particular composer's music is one thing and your privilege.
But accusing others who happen to disagree with you of being "aimless"
simply *because* they disagree with you shows a staggering level of
arrogance.  Do grow up!

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/index.html