From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:12:36 -0700
Dave Runnion persists:

>Wes Crone wrote:
>
>>On the other side you have composers like Mr.X, (unnamed) who write lovely
>>melodies and cute, childish piano pieces......fun for the whole family.  ..."
>
>Do you see "IMHO" written here? Neither do I.  Wes, then, to follow Mr.
>Draper's post, is stating a fact.  Let's be consistent here, ladies and
>gentlemen.

Listen bud, I did say that it was an opinion.  I didn't phrase it in that
sentence but rather before I started in on my opinion sharing.  Just look
back at my posting.  If I recall correctly, I said it was all my opinion
and I was probably creating the wrong impression.  Your posts typically
come across as saying "You're wrong, my friend" or "How can you say that,
when THIS is obviously the case?" Mind you, these are not direct quotes but
my impression of your postings to me.

>Another thing, Wes, I clearly remember your post when you stated that
>IYHO you would be famous because you write music that people like.  Later,
>when challenged on that, you tried to wriggle out of it, butthat's what you
>wrote, as I remember it.  Is there a way to dig around the archives to find
>the exact quote? If I am wrong I beg forgiveness, but I think I'm right.

I recall, now, exactly what you are talkng about.  Someone wrote about
how new composers don;t have a chance, really, and people need to write
avante'garde just to be taken seriously.  I remember saying (hopefully,
of course) that I like my music and I hope it can bring joy to others some
day.  Then, in an act of hope that my future will not be dismal, I said
that my music will be known because people will honestly like it.  This
was just a statement to bring myself confidence in what I see to be a
tough road.  Gotta have dreams and hopes, and gotta believe in their
possibilities.  I never said anything about accessible music, though.
Accessible to who, anyway? There was an entire thread on this earlier.
I have sent simple midi sound files of my music to people I know in
different parts of the U.S.  I don't write midi music I write for acoustic
instruments, you know, the regular instruments of classical music(PLease
don;t anyone reply with, "Well just what ARE the REGULAR instruments?").
I like midi because of the small file size and, consequently, the ease of
which to distribute.  Anyway, I only send my music to serious musicians
and fellow composers.  Most people have liked my music, some have panned
it.  I have been criticized for writing music that is too cerebral.  I have
been criticized for writing music that contains a tonic.  There are all
kinds in this world, it is IMPOSSIBLE to please them all.  Email me at
[log in to unmask] if you would like me to mail you some midi files.

>And finally, it is fine that Mozart doesn't give you a buzz, but to call
>his piano music childish is, well, childish.  IMHO.  And to simplify it by
>saying it is all V-I is to simply deny reality.  IMHO.  Take a closer look.
>Analyze some of those harmonies.  That, IMHO, is what sets Wolfie apart
>from the rest; that I-V-I routine was given such a magical treatment that
>it isn't predictable or banal, like, for instance, IMHO, Mr. Dittersdorf.

Yeah, yeah, I get your point on the IMHO's but hey, some people honestly
believe that their way is the only "correct" way.  I believe Dr.  Bernard
Chasan just wrote a posting in which he siad that his opinions on some
music are actual "...objective fact" I believe he called it.  I like
to think he was just kidding but you never know.  As far as calling his
music childish, I believe I have heard the words childish or childlike or
otherwise used to describe the qualities of Mozart's music.  When I said
it in my posting I was using it as the type of compliment I often hear
regarding his music.  It has childish innocence or something of the sort.
Now, I AM a composer and let me tell you, I analyze the HECK out of
everything I get my hands (ears?) on.  I don't care if Mozart uses
"I-iib-iiib-ii(natural)-vib-I=" becuase my dislike comes directly from HOW
he uses it.  I just don't like Mozart's style, that's all.  Now unless I am
mistaken, you contradicted yourself in the same paragraph.  First you tell
me that calling Mozart's music "I-V-I" is to deny reality.  Well, then you
immediately proceed to deny reality by telling me that I-V-I IS a part of
his music but that it is treated so "MAGICALLY" that it defies banality.
Let's be consistent here, ladies and gentlemen.  I ask nothing more.  You
better watch your back for those Dittersdorf fans, Dave.  They don't take
kindly to people criticizing their man for his usage of the "I-V-I"!!  It's
a joke, Dave.  Take care!!

-Wes Crone