From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:39:07 -0600
Donald Satz:

>However, that's not the end of the story.  Vainberg was not some
>Shostakovich clone.  If you delve more deeply into Vainberg's music,
>you will notice differences.  Vainberg was very much the optimist, even
>though his personal and family life encountered more traumatic situations
>than Shostakovich had to deal with.  Vainberg could be quite cutting and
>ironic in his music, but not to the extreme degree exhibited by Shostakovich.
>There is less bombast from Vainberg and more of a relaxed lyricisim.

Perhaps this is why Vainberg escaped the trouble with the authorities
that Shostakovich had to go through.

I've yet to hear a note of Vainberg's music but I have long been a devotee
of Shostakovich and, thanks to the direction this thread has taken (and
thanks to those who have brought it there), I've just ordered a bunch
of Vainberg's symphonies from Berkshire, which has several Olympia
recordings of his music at a low price.

Jim Tobin