From:
Peter Varley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 09:33:12 +0100
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>I saw in a store a CD of Wilhelm Kempff's compositions, but it was a very
>expensive price to pay without any quality indication.  Are his works good?
>With who it sounds like? Shumann, Debussy, Shoenberg? Are they great music
>to listen or just serves as curiosity, like Horowitz's pieces?

I have a CD of Kempff's compositions, but it can't be the same one - it's
a bargain-price one on Arte Nova.  There are two pieces on it, a piano trio
which was a student work and sounds like rather good imitation Brahms, and
a piano quartet, a mature work which sounds to me a bit like Schmidt.  IMO,
neither of them are forgotten masterpieces but they're both enjoyable.

Peter Varley